
Football
Share
Published 12:14 7 Oct 2025 BST
Updated 12:14 7 Oct 2025 BST

Former Wexford manager Paul Carley says Wexford GAA’s decision to allow players the weekend off for Electric Picnic was “ludicrous.”
The fifth round of the hurling championship had been marked for the weekend of August 29 to 31, but the schedule was put back a week following Wexford senior hurling and football early exits.
Wexford chairman John Kenny said they received a lengthy list of requests to change fixtures for the same weekend in 2024, due to the festival, and this played a big part in their decision to change the schedule this year.
The festival was held in Stradbally, Co Laois, from August 29 to 31.
According to the Irish Independent, the move reportedly left many Wexford clubs bemused, given the recent free weekend for the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, held in Wexford.
Speaking on the Wexford Hurling Podcast, Carley said: "I think it was the most ludicrous decision I’ve ever seen or heard of.
“You could have a team knocked out now in a county semi-final on penalties because we don’t have a free weekend and we’re giving up a free weekend to go to a festival.
“I just don’t think it makes any sense and it didn’t make any sense at the time. These lads live a good life, it’s not a case that they’re sacrificing every weekend or anything like that.
"But imagine now if you’re any of the four teams left and you’re put out on penalties because you don’t have a free weekend."
Explore more on these topics:

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
2 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football