
Football
Share
Published 11:57 29 Apr 2023 BST
Updated 19:25 29 Apr 2023 BST
Explore more on these topics:
This transpired in the young Desertmartin attacker getting caught between two stools - and reducing him to very little football at all. You would have thought, knowing that he was only going to have a bit-part role on Saturday, that Gallagher may have let him play during the week.
The sharp shooter would no doubt have had a big say in the Ulster u20 final against Down, who did decide to use their u20 players knowing that it would rule them out of the senior set-up this weekend.
That being said, the fact that he's been forced into these circumstances in the first place is ridiculous. Conor Laverty who manages Down at both senior and u20 level hit out at the nonsensical ruling after their Ulster triumph in midweek.
"I think it’s a disgrace that the young fellas aren’t able to play", said Laverty.
"Lads can play in competitions earlier in the year night after night, come to training and whenever it comes to the biggest days of the year that they’ve worked hard for all their lives, the young lads are deprived. We’re depriving our most talented players of that chance."We should have some lads playing last weekend and playing tonight and playing at the weekend. It’s very unfortunate for them. "I feel that the GAA have put in a rule there that they haven’t put much thought into and it’s really disappointing. It was a very hard decision and we asked the players themselves and took their thoughts into consideration. "Only one of the lads would have been in the mix to start. We felt we had to be true to them and maybe let them play out their last time at underage." The difference between the Down and Derry players who have been affected by this is that the Down ones at least have an Ulster medal in their pockets to show for a season's work. Related links:

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
2 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football