More shocking footage from Parnell Park emerges, as Leinster GAA condemn brawl 3 weeks ago

More shocking footage from Parnell Park emerges, as Leinster GAA condemn brawl

"Oh my God, they're hitting people with hurls!"

The shocked reaction of a supporter watching from the covered stand at the far side of Parnell Park from where a mass brawl broke out in a Leinster Hurling club clash.

Advertisement

The all-out melée started between players from Wexford's Oulart-the-Ballagh and Dublin's Naomh Barróg, and spilled over to include those on the sidelines and supporters up in the stands.

Dublin senior three champions Naomh Barróg, of Kilbarrack, pulled off a huge shock to win what was a titanic tussle of a Leinster intermediate quarter final, but focus since the game finished has been on the brawl.

The initial footage that surfaced, on Saturday night, can be seen here:

Advertisement

Since then, SportsJOE has been contacted by a supporter that was at the ground and that captured additional footage on their mobile phone.

In the clip, a person can be seen getting struck, on several occasions, by an individual swinging a hurl, up in the stands.

Advertisement

Parnell Park brawl condemned

Pat Teehan, chairperson of Leinster GAA, has condemned the ugly scenes at Parnell Park.

"We play hundreds of games every weekend in a spirit of enjoyment for both players and spectators," Teehan told RTÉ, "and unfortunately we get isolated incidents which are rightly highlighted in the media and elsewhere, because they have no place in our games."

"We must deal them in as harsh a manner as we can, but also in a fair manner... There is any amount of sanctions available. There are very severe sanctions which can be imposed and, if necessary, which will be imposed."

Advertisement

The referee's report from the game is expected in by Monday. As soon as that arrives, Teehan confirmed, an immediate meeting of the Leinster Competition Control Committee would take place to discuss it.

In a statement to RTÉ's This Week, An Garda Síochána said it is aware of video circulating on social media 'of an incident at a sporting event'.

"In general terms this incident, similar to other footage circulating online, emanated from the field of play and was confined to the match venue, which is first and foremost the responsibility of event officials, stewards and the Sporting body concerned."

"Any complaints made to An Garda Síochána arising from such incidents are fully investigated" the statement said.


Advertisement