
Football
Share
Published 12:07 20 Aug 2025 BST
Updated 11:31 22 Aug 2025 BST

The speculation over the future of Jack O'Connor looks to be coming to an end.
The Kerry boss, in his third tenure with the county, led the Kingdom to their 39th All-Ireland SFC this summer, their fifth under his command.
However, he had previously suggested that it could be his last season in charge, and reiterated this following the defeat of Donegal.
“I like spending time with my grandson, Jack, who’s mad for golf as well. He’d be around the lawn below at the golf club, learning to swing it. I live in a nice part of the country and I enjoy being out in nature and going out at my old homestead in Dromid, stuff like that.
“We’ll see. I’ll leave it settle for a couple of weeks. I won’t hang people out to dry or keep people hanging on. I’ll have a think about it. I had only one or two hours’ sleep last night, so now isn’t a great time to be making a decision.”
Naturally, fans have players would love to see him stay on, with David Clifford saying: "It would be great if we could keep it the same way it was for last year," he told RTÉ Sport as he picked up his latest PwC GAA/GPA Footballer of the Month award following his superb performances in July.
"I thought we had a brilliant set-up so hopefully they’ll figure things out."
The latest update on the situation is positive news for the Kingdom, with the Examiner reporting that 'Kerry chiefs' believe he will continue in the role.
A county board meeting is to take place on Tuesday, and O'Connor is expected to be ratified for another two years.
Explore more on these topics:
He said: “It isn’t like I’m playing hard to get at all. I’m a long old time at this thing now. I found last year particularly tough, I have to say, and I’m not sure I can put myself through that stuff again because when you reach a certain age, your priorities change a bit. There’s a lot of other things I like doing. I like playing a bit of golf.

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
10h
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
14h
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football