Man United could pay Anthony Martial to never play for them again
They really don't want him, do they?
Manchester United could be willing to pay Anthony Martial an eight-figure fee so that he never plays for the club again.
According to the Mirror, United are willing to offer the Frenchman £12.5m to pay off the rest of the two years remaining on his contract to allow him to become a free agent.
Martial has struggled on loan at Sevilla.
The 26-year-old fell out of favour at Old Trafford and was loaned to Spanish side Sevilla in January where his fortunes haven't improved. Since making the move, Martial has struggled with injuries and scored just one goal from 11 games.
Despite his poor form, there is a chance that Sevilla could make the move permanent however they would be unable to afford Martial's £240,000 a week wages.
The club's sporting director Monchi revealed that it was something they were considering. "His transfer was cheaper than you think, but it's still a big bet, just six or seven million," he told Radio Sevilla.
"Unfortunately, it is difficult to analyse Martial's performance when he was injured and now he is injured again.
"I'm not closing the door on his continuity although there's a lot to see and discuss with the player at the end of the season."
Martial is likely to follow several others out the door at Man United.
Sevilla are currently paying 40 per cent of those wages while the Red Devils pay the other 60 per cent and with new boss Erik ten Hag expected to conduct a mass overhaul of the squad, it seems unlikely that the Frenchman will be a part of that.
Martial is expected to be followed by several others out the door at Old Trafford. Nemanja Matic has already confirmed his departure, while the likes of Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, and Paul Pogba are all set to follow suit.
- David De Gea admits he feels 'embarrassed' playing for Man United sometimes.
- Ralf Rangnick says the Atletico defeat 'destroyed' the Man United players.
- Roy Keane on the two Man United players who are a bigger 'problem' than Cristiano Ronaldo.