Munster update reveals Andrew Conway is back in contention for Wales game 2 years ago

Munster update reveals Andrew Conway is back in contention for Wales game

Munster winger Andrew Conway has seemingly rejoined the Ireland squad despite being left off the original list of names by Irish Rugby earlier this afternoon.

An Irish Rugby press release stated that Niall Scannell, Garry Ringrose and John Cooney had all been called into Ireland camp, however, issuing a squad update ahead of ahead of Friday night’s clash against Glasgow Warriors at Irish Independent Park, Munster said that Conway had returned to Ireland camp.

Conway missed out on the opening two rounds of the Six Nations campaign with a knee injury but was included in Schmidt's original 36-man Six Nations last month.

It is unclear whether he will train at Carton House this week or whether he will simply be monitored by Ireland's medical staff.

Conway started all three of Ireland's November international wins over South Africa, Fiji and Argentina and was on the shortlist of outside backs to appear on the bench for Ireland through the opening two rounds.

"I hadn't thought about Conway for a bit because he was a bit out of sight out of mind, but I think that it's going to be interesting to see Joe's mindset in terms of what pecking order he has people in," said James Downey on The Hard Yards last week.

Advertisement

"When he falls back on things he goes to his reliables. You're in the trenches, it's a big game against Wales, who do you trust?

"You have got to go with the players you trust, hence, I'm saying Ferg [Fergus McFadden].

"Ferg is not going to let you down, he's going to work his socks off, he's going to do everything asked of him, he's solid as a rock - defensively and going forward - and you know what you're getting with him. He does it.

"He makes no mistakes and that's what you need. Then you got Conway who is going to bring that little bit more in attack and you don't know what he's going to do. It's going to be interesting to see where he sees them."

Conway also signed a new two-year contract with Munster last month that will see the utility back remain at the province until at least 2020.