Photographic proof that Austin Gleeson didn't bring the ball past his own line 9 months ago

Photographic proof that Austin Gleeson didn't bring the ball past his own line

This was what cost Waterford.

Every soul in Tipperary is counting their lucky stars that their hurlers are still alive in the championship, because were it not for a plainly wrong decision from one of the umpires at The Gaelic Grounds, they would be knocked out at the very first hurdle in Munster.

This game ebbed and flowed in the early stages, but Waterford, undoubtedly motivated by the narrative and the bookmakers' odds going into this one, were inspired in the Limerick sun.

Pauric Mahony, supposedly injured coming into it, was on fire and he took every chance that came his way. Austin Gleeson and Michael 'Brick' Walsh shored up the defence while Jamie Barron was typically industrious.

On the other side, Tipperary were all at sea. A miscommunication between Paudie Maher and keeper Brian Hogan gifted Waterford a second goal but the Premier County's defence, as a unit, looked all over the shop.

Tom Devine caused plenty of problems as did the economical Patrick Curran. Michael Cahill's unjust red card right on the stroke of half-time ensured Tipperary were facing a mountain, again, in the second half.

That climb got even steeper when Waterford increased their lead to ten at one stage, with Barron and Gleeson again to the fore.

But back came Tipperary again. Jason Forde kept them ticking over from frees and a stunning 'Bonner' Maher goal gave them hope.

All hell broke loose five minutes later. Austin Gleeson leapt highest to claim a Jason Forde free under the cross bar. The Mount Sion club man fumbled the ball, but retrieved it right on the line, before bursting out of defence.

This photo, captured by Sportsfile, shows clearly that Gleeson, at his rearmost position, had kept the ball out.

One of the umpires adjudged that Gleeson had carried it beyond his own line.

Tipperary recovered to draw the game from there, as both the referee and umpire were escorted from the pitch.