Galway dominates as GAA Minor Star Football Team of the Year is announced
Most of the side is made from Connacht.
This season, Electric Ireland celebrated the long-lasting and positive impact of the Electric Ireland GAA Minor Championships on players, as past Minor teammates looked back on the ‘Minor Moments’ that shaped them.
This year’s Electric Ireland GAA Minor Star Football Team of the Year features six players from All-Ireland champions Galway. All-Ireland finalists, Mayo, have four players represented. Ulster finalists, Derry have two representatives while Tyrone, Kerry and Dublin each have one player on this year’s team.
Galway’s Tomás Farthing has also been named as the 2022 Electric Ireland GAA Minor Star Football Player of the Year. The An Spidéal defender was at the heart of the Galway defence throughout the season and proved to be a pivotal player for the Tribesmen, claiming the Electric Ireland Best & Fairest Award in both the All-Ireland Semi-Final and Final.
The team was selected by a panel of GAA experts and was determined in part by Electric Ireland’s ‘Minor Moments of the Week’ initiative on Twitter via @ElectricIreland and #GAAThisIsMajor.
2022 Electric Ireland GAA Minor Football Team of the Year
- Kyle Gilmore (Galway and Cortoon Shamrocks)
- Tomás Farthing (Galway and An Spidéal) – Also Player of the Year
- Ben Hughes (Tyrone and Donaghmore)
- Rio Mortimer (Mayo and Claremorris)
- Paul Gilmore (Mayo and Claremorris)
- Cillian Trayers (Galway and Claregalway)
- Fionn Murphy (Kerry and Rathmore)
- Ruairí Forbes (Derry and Ballinderry Shamrocks)
- Jack Lonergan (Galway and Claregalway)
- Johnny McGuckian (Derry and Watty Graham’s Glen)
- Éanna Monaghan (Galway and Claregalway)
- Diarmuid Duffy (Mayo and Ballinrobe)
- Joe Quigley (Dublin and Kilmacud Crokes)
- Ronan Clarke (Mayo and Bohola Moy Davitts)
- Colm Costello (Galway and Dunmore MacHales)