David Clifford misses out as Kerry name exciting team to face Monaghan
A show of faith from Kerry boss Eamonn Fitzmaurice.
Kerry's footballers may have had plans for their February 16-18 weekend off but all that changed, last Sunday, when poor weather led to the postponement of their game.
The Kingdom were all set to play Monaghan on Sunday morning but a fair amount of snowfall saw the game postponed.
Fitzmaurice had a strong starting 15 named for the Allianz Football League encounter and seems set to stick with the same men this weekend. That means there is no place for young forward David Clifford, who injured his hamstring in the win over Mayo.
The teenager scored his first point from play against Stephen Rochford's men but limped off with a hamstring strain before the 20-minute mark and has not played since. Even the extra week's rest has not seen Clifford restored to the Kerry 15.
— eir Sport (@eirSport) February 3, 2018
The match was due to take place last Sunday but a mixture of overnight rain and snowfall combined to see it called off at 11am, three hours before throw-in.
Kerry are two from two in the league and on four points, while Monaghan have won once and lost once.
- Shane Murphy (Captain) - Dr. Crokes
- Shane Enright -Tarbert
- Jason Foley - Ballydonoghue
- Ronan Shanahan - Austin Stacks
- Paul Murphy - Rathmore
- Andrew Barry - Na Gaeil
- Brian Ó Beaglaíoch - An Ghaeltacht
- Jack Barry - Na Gaeil
- Barry O’Sullivan - Dingle
- Micheál Burns - Dr. Crokes
- Dáithí Casey - Dr Crokes
- Stephen O’Brien - Kenmare
- Jack Savage - Kerins O’Rahillys
- Paul Geaney - Dingle
- Barry John Keane - Kerins O’Rahillys
Monaghan, meanwhile, have named a decent team but they have left Conor McManus in reserve on the bench.
Back in early February, fans would have been looking ahead to Clifford sharing the pitch with McManus in this league tie but that must wait for another day.
- Rory Beggan - An Bhoth
- Kieran Duffy - Leachtain
- Conor Boyle - Cluain Tiobraid
- Barry Kerr - Cearra Craobh Mhairtín
- Neil McAdam - Na Cláirsigh Mhuineacháin
- Paraic Mc Guirk - Seán Mac Diarmada
- Karl O’Connell - Tigh Thalainn
- Darren Hughes - An Bhoth
- Niall Kearns - Seán Mac Diarmada
- Dessie Ward - Béal Átha Beithe
- Dermot Malone - Fág An Bealach
- Fintan Kelly - Cluain Eois
- Conor McCarthy - An Bhoth
- Jack McCarron - Curraichín
- David Garland - Domhnach Maighean
TG4 will have deferred footage of the game, on Sunday, after their live hurling coverage:
Deferred Coverage of Sunday's game abroad Also will be on TG4 deferred https://t.co/Qn8cEUAeq8
— @monaghangaa (@monaghangaa) February 16, 2018
Should be a cracker.