NUIG power past DIT to reach first Sigerson final in 15 years 11 months ago

NUIG power past DIT to reach first Sigerson final in 15 years

NUIG have made it to their first Sigerson Cup final since 2003.

NUIG and DIT met halfway for their Sigerson Cup semi-final on Wednesday evening in St. Loman's GAA pitch in Mullingar.

Though it would feel like more of a home game for the Dublin college. Their manager, Billy O'Loughlin is a Loman's club man and he played for the team during their run to this year's Leinster senior club final.

His club mate Shane Dempsey lined out at corner forward for DIT.

The Westmeath champions were also represented on the NUIG team, with their Leinster final man-of-the-match Ronan O'Toole on the Galway colleges' panel. He played a pivotal role here, kicking two points after his introduction early in the second half.

NUIG, who went into the game as marginal favourites started without their Corofin half back Kieran Molloy. Their long haired flier has been a key player in their run to the last four of this competition.

However, Molloy has an All-Ireland club semi-final this Saturday, with the Galway and Connacht champions taking on Moorefield at 2.00 on Saturday in O'Connor Park, Tullamore. That's 90 minutes before the ball will be thrown in for the Sigerson Cup final in Santry.

Unsurprisingly, Molloy's first priority is his club. It wouldn't be ideal preparation for an All-Ireland semi-final - playing in a ferocious Sigerson Cup contest four days beforehand, so he started this one from the bench. He came on in the 42nd minute of play, and both his club and himself deserve credit for that. He went on to kick a crucial score just as DIT were clawing their way back into it.

Meanwhile, Brian Howard, who opted against playing for DIT last week due to his Dublin commitments, made his first start for DIT in their Sigerson campaign this year.

The Galway men started the better in this one, with a first half goal from their corner forward Sean Kelly sending them on their way to a two point, 1-6 to 0-7 lead going into the half-time break.

Antrim's Adam Gallager and Mayo's Owen Gallagher were to the fore in that first period, keeping NUIG ticking over with scores.

They picked up where they left off after the interval. They struck the Dublin college for another three-pointer in the second half, with substitute Eoin Finnerty rattling the net ten minutes into the second half.

They kept their foot on the gas as the game entered its closing stages, and went onto win by three points on a scoreline of 2-12 to 0-15.

Mayo's Gallagher and full forward Enda Tierney sealed the deal for the men in maroon with two late points.

They're through to Saturday's final now. They'll be without Molloy for good in that one.