Coalisland shock Errigal Ciarán with three goals in the last eight minutes to advance to Tyrone final 1 year ago

Coalisland shock Errigal Ciarán with three goals in the last eight minutes to advance to Tyrone final

Unbelievable scenes in Tyrone.

In what was the most ridiculously obscene, entertaining, and jaw-dropping game of football, this writer has ever seen, Coalisland Fianna pull off a miraculous comeback to book their spot in the Tyrone Senior Championship Final.


When we say it had everything, we mean it had absolutely everything! Wonder scores, friends becoming foes, red cards, goals, late drama, a penalty, a contentious last minute free-kick, a missed opportunity to equalise, this game was one for the ages.

It all began so well for Errigal Ciarán who looked to be in control of the game, and although they only led at half-time by a single point, Coalisland had yet to score from play, and the Canavan brothers were in fine form.

Ruairi Canavan, at just 17-years-old came off the bench early in the game and was a constant threat, his pace electrifying and causing all sorts of problems for the opposition defence.


Tyrone captain Paudie Hampsey, also captains Coalisland, and looked to be running out of ideas as they seemed determined to play route one football, lumping the ball into full forward Paddy McNeice, only for it to be continuously swept up.

With ten minutes to go, Errigal Ciarán looked incredibly comfortable and seemed set to take their place in the final, especially as Tyrone's Michael McKernan got sent off, not long after getting into a few scuffles with his Red Hand teammate, Darragh Canavan.

The nail seemed to be in the coffin as they were down to 14 men, trailing by six points, still yet to score from play and looking like they had completely ran out ideas.

They would only watch in bemusement as Peter Harte scored a point from his weaker foot, from an angle too acute to describe on the left flank.


Some hope was restored however, when in the 52nd minute, midfielder Jason Carberry converts a goal effort from range, taking a deflection that helped it curl into the net.

That hope was quickly diminished however, when the afformentioned teenager Ruairi Canavan, kicked not one, but two wonder scores in quick succession.

Of course, this is Tyrone football and drama comes by the bucket-load, as Coalisland were awarded a penalty on the 55th minute, which was slotted home by Tiernan Quinn.


The fairy tale didn't stop there, as Brian Toner then nets a speculative effort, in the 57th minute, meaning Coalisland went from not having scored from play at all, to burying three goals in five minutes and leading by a point.

Not that they wanted to make things easy for themselves, as no sooner was the ball in the net did their corner forward, Peter Herron, receive his second yellow card and given his marching orders, leaving the team in blue with 13 men on the pitch.

Then Errigal Ciarán had their own moment of madness when their goalkeeper, Darragh McAnenly, joined in the attack up front and scored a wonderful equalising point.

With the game all square, and injury time ticking over the allotted amount, a contentious free is awarded to Coalisland, and Cormac O'Hagan stepped up to kick the winning score, his sixth in the game.


The referee did allow for Errigal Ciarán to get one more chance however, but Peter Harte's desperate attempt in the dying seconds went just wide.

It will now be Dromore vs Coalisland in the Tyrone Senior Football Championship, and if you have any sense at all, you will tune in.