There might be another twist to Billy Walsh's resignation as Irish Sports Council put squeeze on IABA
It's Back to the Future day and the clock is ticking for the IABA.
Billy Walsh announced his resignation on Monday afternoon after seemingly months of wrangles with the Irish Amateur Boxing Association over a new contract.
The Wexford man has quit his role with Irish boxing and is believed to be heading to the USA on Friday to sign contract to train their boxing teams ahead of the Olympics next year and beyond.
The boxing association is under severe pressure after Monday's news ,and now it seems that the decision not to retain Walsh's services may affect their funding.
Speaking on RTE's Prime Time this evening, the Chair of the Irish Sports Council Kieran Mulvey claims that they will have to review their of the IABA unless they get answers as to the background to the Walsh story in the next 24 hours.
Kieran Mulvey says Billy Walsh is the best boxing coach in the world and should be allowed the freedom to continue. https://t.co/OLRcmCdkWY
— RTÉ News (@rtenews) October 20, 2015
The ISC claim that Walsh's decision quit had nothing to do with money, and instead they feel a row over Walsh's title and desire to become a director of the High Performance Unit is key to the dispute.
Mulvey claimed that funding for the IABA may be affected unless there are answers in the coming hours
Irish Sports Council Chair Kieran Mulvey gives IABA board 24 hours to rethink Billy Walsh approach or face funding review. #rtept
— RTÉ Prime Time (@RTE_PrimeTime) October 20, 2015
"My view now is that deal should be offered to Billy even at this late date and give up the nonsense that's going on now in the IABA about this.
"I'm effectively saying when the new funding round for 2016 comes up, we will have to review our relationship with the IABA.
"What was so unacceptable about the agreement of the 22nd August that it was never put to the board and never put to Billy Walsh even though it was agreed by him - what's the problem?. I don't know what the problem is."
"I want a rethink within the next 24 hours by the IABA of their total approach to this and their acceptance of the agreement we put to them on the 22nd August."