Eddie Hearn sues Jake Paul for $100million following bribe allegation 2 months ago

Eddie Hearn sues Jake Paul for $100million following bribe allegation

Paul alleged Hearn had paid a boxing judge on two separate occasions

Eddie Hearn is suing Jake Paul for $100million after he alleged the promoter had bribed a boxing judge.

Advertisement

Paul made the claim in an interview last week, accusing Hearn of paying a judge on two separate occasions.

Hearn denied the allegations and threatened to sue the 25-year-old. Hearn has now filed a lawsuit, claiming Paul "made outrageously false and baseless allegations".

Advertisement

'Jake Paul purposely crossed that line'

Matchroom Boxing lawyer Frank Salzano told TMZ: "Both legally and ethically there is a clear line separating opinion from defamatory lies. Jake Paul knows that, and he purposely crossed that line when he wrongly accused Matchroom Boxing and Eddie Hearn of fixing fights.

"Nonetheless he was still given an opportunity to retract his defamatory statements and refused to. Now he will face the legal consequences of his actions as Matchroom and Mr. Hearn will be seeking damages in well excess of $100 million given the value and goodwill attached to the Matchroom business and the harmful nature of Mr. Paul’s comments."

Speaking to iFL TV last week, Paul alleged:

Advertisement

"This type of s***, I’m going to call it out here in boxing because it’s bull***. Clearly, this guy is getting paid money by Matchroom Boxing."

Hearn later alluded to possible legal action when he said: "Jake Paul is good for boxing in many ways but he can also be terrible in many ways. He doesn't still have the respect for the industry and history of the sport of boxing.

"What he said in terms of his allegations of corruption... is totally unacceptable. We all have a laugh with Jake with the average fighter stuff, but I can tell you now what he said is unacceptable and it will be dealt with. We take our values as a business and a family very seriously, so for him to come out with idiotic comments is extremely harmful to me and us as a business.

"Jake's comments will be dealt with appropriately, and I am not prepared as I would be on many occasions to take it with a pinch of salt on this occasion. It is bang out of order and totally disrespectful to the sport of boxing and to us and I take it personally as they are questioning our credentials and our integrity and I won't have it. He may not care but I do."

"[He] is questioning not just the integrity of Matchroom Boxing," Hearn continued, "and he doesn't even understand it when he says, 'Why do Matchroom choose that judge?' We don't choose the judge you idiot. As I say sometimes it is a laugh but this isn't and it will be dealt with."

Advertisement

Earlier this month Hearn confirmed that Anthony Joshua had accepted an offer from Tyson Fury to fight this year.

A date for the fight hasn't been set yet but Fury's fight promoter Frank Warren has confirmed that the bout is expected to take place in the UK, with the Principality Stadium in Cardiff touted as the venue.

Tyson Fury set a deadline of this Monday for bout agreements and contracts to be signed, but Eddie Hearn said the deal will not be put on a clock set by 'The Gypsy King'.

Advertisement

Related links:


Katie Taylor on the phone call she received from Roy Keane after the 2016 Olympics