Australia confirms Novak Djokovic is banned from country for three years 10 months ago

Australia confirms Novak Djokovic is banned from country for three years

The Federal Government confirmed that Djokovic had been banned from Australia for three years

Novak Djokovic has been banned from Australia for three years, the country has confirmed.

Advertisement

The Serb discovered the news upon returning to Dubai on Monday morning after the Federal Government upheld Alex Hawke's decision to cancel the world number one's visa for a second time.

During an interview on the Today Show in Australia on Monday, home affairs minister Karen Andrews confirmed that the three-year ban was as a result of the outcome of the court decision.

"The visa was cancelled by [Immigration] Minister Hawke," Andrews said, as per the Daily Mail.

"That cancellation was upheld by the Federal Court, so as a result of that, he will be banned from entry for three years into the country.

"Anyone coming into Australia it is their responsibility that they are meeting the entry requirements... just because you have a valid visa does not guarantee you will be able to enter Australia.

"What was given to Mr Djokovic on arrival in Australia - before he cleared our immigration processes - was the opportunity to be able to produce the documentation that was needed, which he could not.

"He wasn't fully-vaccinated, which is a requirement. If you are not, you have to be able to provide medical evidence to support there is a medical reason why you can't be vaccinated - that was the issue at the border."

Advertisement

Novak Djokovic

An 'assassination attempt'

Andrews then added that if Djokovic were to return to Australia in that time with a convincing enough reason that a decision to allow him to re-enter the country may be considered, but stressed that it was "all hypothetical at this point."

The decision to deport Djokovic from Australia has been met with anger from his loyal fanbase, as well as several high-profile stars in the game.

Advertisement

Srdjan Djokovic, the tennis star's father, was not happy with the outcome and took to Instagram to post a furious response in which he said:

"The assassination attempt on the best sportsman in the world is over, 50 bullets to Novak's chest. See you in Paris."

However, according to ABC, Srdjan distanced himself from the comments and released a statement via the Djokovic family claiming that the words were said by fans of Novak.

They said: "We will be there to share the blows he received, to help him regain his energy, his faith in this sport, above all in fair play, which was completely absent here."

Advertisement

The tennis world number one has received large support from other Serbs including footballers such as Nemanja Matic and Dejan Lovren, whilst the president of Serbia, Aleksandar Vucic said his fellow countrymen had been treated harshly.

"They think that they have by this, this mistreatment of 10 days, humiliated Djokovic, but they have humiliated themselves. Djokovic can return to his country with his head held high," he told local outlets.

"I spoke earlier to Novak Djokovic after the decision and I encouraged him. We look forward to seeing him return to his country, where he is always welcome."

Advertisement

Australian prime minister Scott Morrison has backed the decision to deport the Serb from the country and "welcomed the decision to keep our borders strong."

However, he also stressed there could be an opportunity for the nine-time Australian Open champion to enter the country again, despite his ban.

He said: "It does go over a three-year period but there is the opportunity for them to return in the right circumstances, and that will be considered at the time."

The Serb may also be out of the French Open, government sources in France have confirmed, if he does not get vaccinated before that tournament begins.

Related links: