Donald Cerrone "waiting on" Conor McGregor to agree to lightweight clash
We can't be the only ones who want to see Conor McGregor vs. Donald Cerrone.
After revealing that he will return to lightweight following a 10-fight spell at 170lbs, Cerrone has targeted a red panty night.
With his 36th birthday on the horizon, 'Cowboy' can be forgiven for seeking one more monster payday before the idea of retirement creeps into his head and it would be a shame to see Cerrone hang up his gloves without a fight against Conor McGregor.
On Tuesday night, Cerrone claimed that he was "waiting on" McGregor to accept the fight, which would tick a lot of boxes for the UFC.
Cerrone remains one of the highest profile fighters in the UFC and has no problem selling fights with his personality, which would come to the fore in any press conferences opposite 'The Notorious'.
McGregor, meanwhile, is in need of a win and should welcome the opportunity to share the Octagon with an opponent who would likely be willing to stand with him.
The UFC will find it difficult to convince fans that McGregor is worthy of a title fight after being dominated by Khabib Nurmagomedov last month but a non-title bout against Cerrone would be appropriate and do better on pay-per-view than most fights with a belt on the line.
Fresh from his submission victory over Mike Perry on Saturday night, 'Cowboy' claimed that he was aiming for another shot at the lightweight title and hinted that he had already been offered an exciting opponent.
"There is someone, they already came up and told me," Cerrone said in his post-fight media scrum. "There’s your clickbait. You son of a bitch, you ain’t gonna get me to say it. Not gonna happen. They told me the who for once in my life first. 155lbs. It’s very exciting. Guy’s very exciting. You’ll like it. You’ll all like it."