Search icon


05th Apr 2024

Young GAA player (21) in induced coma after assault on Easter Sunday

Stephen Porzio

He is currently in intensive care.

A young GAA player from Co Down remains in intensive care in an induced coma after an assault that happened on Easter Sunday.

In a statement on Monday (1 April), the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) have said they are appealing for information and witnesses following the incident which took place in Rostrevor at around 9pm on Sunday, 31 March.

“It was reported that a man aged in his twenties was at licensed premises in the Bridge Street area of the town when he fell to the ground following an altercation,” the statement reads.

“He was taken to hospital for treatment to serious head injuries and remains in a critical condition at this time.”

The injured man has since been named locally as 21-year-old GAA player Charlie Brown.

His condition is said to be currently “critical but stable”.

In a social media post, his local club Clonduff GAC wrote: “Please pray for our Senior Footballer Charlie Brown, who is currently in intensive care.

“We are keeping Charlie, the Brown and Linden Families, his team mates and friends in our prayers at this very worrying time. Wishing Charlie a full and speedy recovery – you’ve got this Charlie.”

In another post, the Ulster University Gaelic Academy said: “Ulster University GAA is asking for your thoughts and prayers for Charlie Brown and for all his family at this very worrying time. 

“Charlie remains in intensive care in an induced coma after an assault. We pray that Charlie makes a full and speedy recovery.”

In a follow up statement on Friday afternoon, the PSNI confirmed that a 24-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the Rostrevor assault on Easter Sunday.

Detective Inspector Johnston said: “We received a report that a man, aged in his 20s, had received serious head injuries after he fell to the ground following an altercation at a licensed premises in the Bridge Street area.

“The man was taken to hospital for treatment to his injuries, where he remains. His condition has been described as critical but stable at this time.

“A 24-year-old man was later arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent. He has since been released on police bail to allow for further police enquiries.

Our investigating is continuing, we want to reiterate our appeal to anyone who may have witnessed the altercation, or who may have other information which could assist with our investigation, to contact us on 101 quoting reference number 1599 of 31/03/24.”

The PSNI added: “You can also make a report online here. Alternatively, information can be provided to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online here.”

Read more:

WATCH: Liverpool BOTTLED the title race 🤬 | Who will win the Premier League?