Edendork release statement on Sean Cavanagh incident
Edendork GAA have moved to clarify reports around Sean Cavanagh's concussion and facial bruising after the three-time All-Ireland winner was sent to hospital after Edendork's one-point win over Cavanagh's Moy Tír na nÓg in the first round of the Tyrone SFC last weekend.
Cavanagh was taken to hospital where he was reportedly checked for a broken nose, severe facial bruising and where he was ultimately diagnosed with concussion.
The 35-year-old said in an interview with the BBC earlier this week that he would not let the incident deter him from continuing to play Gaelic Football and that he hopes to return to the pitch in 2019 but Edendork have released a statement to try and clarify perceived falsehoods surrounding the story.
Contacted both clubs to see if they had video footage to clear this up. Edendork refuse to answer the question and said they’re sticking to their statement. Moy Tir na Nog said they won’t comment until Tyrone county board make a decision on footage.
— Jack O'Toole (@jackjotoole) September 22, 2018
The club wrote in a statement on their Facebook page:
"Edendork St Malachy’s GAC would firstly like to take this opportunity to wish Sean Cavanagh a speedy recovery following a very unfortunate incident that occurred during Saturday’s Championship Match.
"We as a club would like to advise that we have been deeply disappointed by the aspersions cast upon our players and club in respect of this incident. It is quite clear that a blind trial by media has occurred in relation to this matter, causing the individual player and the Club a great deal of vexation.
"It should be noted that this was a collision that occurred during the course of play and in plain view of the referee and match officials whilst the ball was in play. No sanction or disciplinary action ensued at that time.
"Edendork GAC would like to state firmly that it is the opinion of the Club and individual player that this was an accidental and unfortunate collision and we hold any suggestion to the contrary as being defamatory.
"The Club wishes to add that they are gravely disappointed by any media publication linking this incident to an overarching suggestion of an endemic problem of violence in Tyrone football.
"The Club warns that the individual player and club are taking legal advice in respect of comments published on social media inferring and expressly stating that this was a deliberate act. The Club and individual player will meet any inferred or express statement with the robustness required to ensure that the Club and player’s reputations are protected.
"The player involved states resolutely that this was not an intentional or malicious act but an accident. We as a Club support this position and ask that people take a few moments to think before casting any insult or contempt towards the individual player or the Club.
"We hope this draws a line under what was a competitive encounter on Saturday against Moy GFC and emphasise that we hope to see Sean back playing for his club as soon as possible."