Cristiano Ronaldo given two-match ban and £50,000 fine
Who knows whether he'll still be in the Premier League to serve the ban...
Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly been hit with a £50,000 fine and a two-match ban by the FA after an incident involving a fan's phone earlier this year.
Following Manchester United's defeat to Everton at Goodison Park last season, Ronaldo appeared to slap the hand of Jacob Harding as he stormed down the tunnel, damaging the boy's phone.
The FA have now concluded their investigation, and handed Ronaldo a hefty fine as well as a suspension, as reported by Mirror.
He was also cautioned by police over the incident. It remains to be seen whether he will dispute the punishment handed down.
The fine and ban come after the news on Tuesday that Ronaldo's contract had been terminated by United with immediate effect.
United released a statement confirming the news that Ronaldo had left the club by mutual consent. It comes a week after his explosive interview with Piers Morgan in which he gave a damning assessment of the Red Devils.
Following the release of the full interview, United held talks with the 37-year-old and have agreed to part ways two days before Ronaldo is due to play his first game at the World Cup for Portugal on Thursday.
Ronaldo then released a statement himself in the wake of the news and paid tribute to the fans and said that the club would always be in his heart.
He said: "Following talks with Manchester United, we’ve mutually agreed to end our contract.
"I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change.
"It feels like the right time to seek a new challenge. I wish Man Utd all the best."
- Non-league side make approach for 37-year-old free agent after World Cup
- World Cup 2022: Day Four – the latest from Qatar
- Glazer family release statement after confirming desire to sell Man United