Paddy Barnes changes mind on retirement and vows to stay at flyweight
Emotions were running high when Paddy Barnes announced that he would "probably retire" after his shock defeat to Oscar Mojica last month.
A bloodied and crestfallen Barnes was adamant that he lost every round in the split decision loss in New York City and the Belfast boxer appeared determined to hang up his gloves, having lost consecutive fights for the first time since turning professional.
Barnes' nose was broken from Mojica's first punch of the fight but 'The Leprechaun' believes that his opponent's size and strength advantage were the main reasons for the upset.
Now that he has had time to reflect on the bout, Barnes plans to keep fighting but will do so on his own terms and will no longer accept fights outside of his most comfortable weight division just to get experience.
Following a great show from Paddy Barnes and Oscar Mojica, Barnes says he's considering retirement after coming up short in the split decision. #ConlanHernandez pic.twitter.com/a85S83fDsO
— Top Rank Boxing (@trboxing) March 17, 2019
"I just feel like now, I should be in the business of Paddy Barnes and not in the business of anyone else," Barnes told iFL TV.
"I should be doing fights that are right for me, like not fighting at bantamweight just to get a fight. Flyweight is my optimum weight. It's the weight I'm most successful at. I had all my amateur success at light flyweight but I think flyweight is the weight for me and going forward, I'm going to fight at flyweight.
"I'm not going to retire. Boxing wouldn't be the same without me. And plus, I have no qualifications and have no job so I need to box.
"In fairness, even though I lost, I still have the desire to be a world champion and to be the best I can be but I know it's going to take a bit longer."