
Football
Share
Published 09:13 22 Jul 2025 BST
Updated 13:45 22 Jul 2025 BST

Kevin Zefi has revealed he suffered racist abuse in Italy for his Irish-Albanian heritage as he looks set to leave Serie A this summer.
The 20-year-old, who was spotted playing and scoring for Sligo Rovers in a friendly against Mansfield last week, has only played for Roma’s development squad, failing to break into the first team, having moved from Inter Milan in 2024, where he had spent three years.
He has played once for Republic of Ireland Under-21s, and is also eligible to play for Albania through his parents.
Zefi has attracted interest from the EFL, Scottish leagues and Scandinavia, but is also interested in a move to Netherlands or Belgium.
In a revealing interview with the Irish Independent, Zefi says it is time to leave Italy, and said during his time at Inter he experienced racism for his heritage.
“Obviously, I came in as an Irish kid, half-Albanian as well, and racism starts to kick in. You just have to be strong mentally. There were a couple of incidents.
“When you’re playing well, you let it slide, you have a joke back, but when you’re not doing so well, it hurts. [It was] opposition players, some of your own players talking behind your back and thinking you don’t understand [what they are saying]. ‘You Irish, you Albanian [so and so], that type of stuff.”
Zefi also reveals he came close to a move to Newcastle in 2024, but instead opted for a three-year deal at Roma, a move he says he was badly advised on.
“I wanted to get out of Italy, but I think I was badly advised on that move,” he says.
“After two years of being at probably the biggest academy in Italy, and it not working out for me, I don’t think they should have tried to bring me to another academy in Italy.
Zefi added that the way of coaching at Inter’s academy also didn’t sit right with him, and that he wanted to leave Inter and Italy after four months.
“I was getting played in different positions, and the way they coach, it was all new to me. I wasn’t used to it. It was very aggressive, very old school. The way they teach you, it was a little bit too much for me.
“It was very tough. After four months, I wanted to leave Inter, I wanted to get out of the country altogether.”
Explore more on these topics:
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA and Rugby – August 21st-24th
The Prem is back! The Premier League is back this weekend, and so are we with our ultimate TV guide. Alongside the English footy, there’s League of Ireland, a heap of club GAA, and some rugby inter-pros. Enjoy the sport and a few pints! Football Friday, 21 August Saturday, 22 August Sunday, 23 August Monday, […]
Football
2 days ago
Reports from Spain say Troy Parrott rejected big Premier League move
He knows what he wants! Following the news of Troy Parrott’s imminent move to Real Betis, more details of the transfer process have come to light. Follow our blog below for more details.
Football
3 days ago
Football
Champions League club ‘in final stages’ of completing Troy Parrott deal
Football