Henshaw returns, as four Ireland stars named in Lions team for Stormers
Stuart Hogg captains the Lions again.
There are four Ireland players named in the Lions team to take on the Stormers on Saturday, and a welcome return for Robbie Henshaw and Alun Wyn Jones.
Marcus Smith will make his Lions debut in the 10 jersey and Josh Adams is back in the side, on the right wing. Tadhg Beirne and Hamish Watson start with Jack Conan in the back row.
Tadhg Furlong is named in the front row with Rory Sutherland and Luke Cowan Dickie. Jones' remarkable recovery from a dislocated shoulder, 19 days ago, sees him make the bench. Lions coach Warren Gatland commented:
"For the matchday 23 it’s their last opportunity to stake a claim for a Test place, so I expect to see a highly motivated group of players.
"It is particularly pleasing to be able to name Stuart Hogg in the squad. He’s not had much luck on Lions Tours to date, so it’ll be great to see him cross the whitewash again with the captain’s armband."
"I’m also delighted that Marcus will get his first start in a Lions jersey," he added. "I’ve been really impressed with his attitude since coming into camp this week; he’s been like a sponge for information."
LIONS XV (vs. Stormers)
15. Stuart Hogg – captain (Exeter Chiefs, Scotland)
14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby, Wales)
13. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England)
12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland)
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, England)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland)
1. Rory Sutherland (Worcester Warriors, Scotland)
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland)
4. Adam Beard (Ospreys, Wales)
5. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, England)
6. Tadhg Beirne (Munster Rugby, Ireland)
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland)
8. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland)
REPLACEMENTS: Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Zander Fagerson, Alun Wyn Jones, Sam Simmonds, Gareth Davies, Chris Harris, Louis Rees-Zammit
The Lions will face the Stormers this Saturday in the last of their warm-up games before the three-Test series against the Springboks gets underway on July 24.
LISTEN TO HOUSE OF RUGBY'S LIONS SERIES: EPISODE 4