Leinster's Champions Cup dreams in tatters in tale of late penalties 7 years ago

Leinster's Champions Cup dreams in tatters in tale of late penalties

Johnny Sexton missed his kick, George Ford landed his.

In fairness to the Irish outhalf, his penalty was from 56-metres. With seven minutes remaining, Sexton's effort fell short.


Three minutes later and Ford bisected the posts with an altogether simpler effort. Bath had the 19-16 win and Leinster - 0 from 2 pool games - are hoping for miracles.

Leinster's scrum was targeted from the get-go by the hosts at it gave them penalties and free kicks for touch all day.

Leo Cullen's men got off to a bright start and took the lead through a Johnny Sexton penalty before Geore Ford levelled matters.

Roared on by The Rec, Bath put the squeeze on and were unfortunate to have a try chalk off for a forward pass.


Just before half-time, safe in the knowledge that another penalty was on the way, Ford slotted a 35-metre drop goal to make it 6-3.

Ben Te'o tackled by Chris Cook and Ollie Devoto 21/11/2015

Ford added to that lead with an early second half penalty before Sexton notched his second penalty of the day.

Cullen attempted to shore up the scrum by subbing off Cian Healy and Mike Ross for Jack McGrath and Marty Moore but still Bath dominated the set-piece.


Sexton had a missed drop goal effort, on 54 minutes, but took the second cherry bite with a penalty to make it 9-9.

The scrummaging coup-de-grace arrived after 61 minutes when Leinster, reeling on their own line, conceded a penalty try. Ford converted and the Blues were seven points adrift going into the final 15 minutes.

With Leinster looking down and out, they rallied to spear into Bath's left flank. Drawing men in, replacement flanker Josh van der Flier powered over despite the close attention of two opponents.

Sexton levelled matters at 16-16 but missed a 73rd minute penalty that would have edged his side ahead.


Ford made no mistake with his penalty, on 76 minutes, and Leinster were left stunned.