England select Marcus Smith and Manu Tuilagi as several big names miss out
It truly is a new era for England, with the focus very much on 2023 and the World Cup.
Eddie Jones has named four uncapped players in his 34-man England squad for the autumn internationals, but much of the focus will be on the players NOT included.
Nic Dolly and Tommy Freeman are called up for the first time while Jones has got Mark Atkinson and Raffi Quirke in for another look. That duo were both called into a short training camp, last month.
Owen Farrell will captain England for the trio of November matches against Tonga, Australia and South Africa. The squad will head to Jersey on Monday, October 25 for a five-day training camp ahead of the Test matches.
Other young talents included in Jones' squad are Callum Chick, Alex Dombrandt, Adam Radwan, Harry Randall, Marcus Smith and Freddie Steward.
Of the big England stars that have not made the cut, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola, George Ford, Dan Robson, Jamie George and Danny Care will feature in many headlines and social media reactions.
Mako Vunipola and Jamie George were both in last summer's British & Irish Lions squad. Care and Ford have both been in great club form, respectively, with Harlequins and Leicester but Jones seems to have left them in his rear-view mirror.
"This is a young but very good, talented squad who have all earned their places. It is one of the most competitive squads I have ever picked,” said Jones.
"There are a number of disappointed players who haven’t been selected, but they know what they need to do and no door is closed to any player.
"We’re looking forward to three tough Test matches. Tonga always play a strong, physical game and Australia and South Africa have had extended periods together and will be a good challenge for us. Our aim each week will be to get better and better as we work towards the Rugby World Cup in 2023."
- Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)
- Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)
- Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 31 caps)
- Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 33 caps)
- Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
- Nic Dolly (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
- Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 1 cap)
- Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
- Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps)
- Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 9 caps)
- Maro Itoje (Saracens, 48 caps)
- Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 87 caps)
- Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 10 caps)
- Joe Marler (Harlequins, 72 caps)
- George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
- Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps)
- Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 44 caps)
- Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
- Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 24 caps)
- Mark Atkinson (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
- Owen Farrell (Saracens, 93 caps)
- Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
- George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)
- Max Malins (Saracens, 8 caps)
- Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 66 caps)
- Raffi Quirke (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
- Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
- Harry Randall (Bristol Bears, 2 caps)
- Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 40 caps)
- Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 2 caps)
- Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
- Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 43 caps)
- Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 51 caps)
- Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 109 caps)
England will first face Tonga on Saturday 6 November (3.15pm KO), then host Australia on Saturday 13 November (5.30pm KO) and world champions South Africa on Saturday 20 November (3.15pm KO).