Tony Ferguson teases fight with Conor McGregor after Dana White says it's possible
An interim lightweight title could be on the line.
A week after Dana White admitted that he would consider Tony Ferguson vs. Conor McGregor, Ferguson has piqued fans' curiosity with a social media post suggesting the bout is being discussed.
White claimed that he would not allow a logjam to form at lightweight if current champion Khabib Nurmagomedov stayed true to his promise to sit out a full year in solidarity with his suspended teammates, Zubaira Tukhugov and Abubakar Nurmagomedov.
"Guys can’t sit out and wait that long if they have the title, you can’t do it. So if that’s true and he (Nurmagomedov) is going to do that, then we have to figure out something else," White said last week.
"You start looking at whether it’s Conor McGregor-Tony Ferguson, or one of these other guys. Whoever wants to...when opportunity knocks, answer the door. So we will see how this thing plays out. That’s the criteria."
Ferguson left many of his followers wondering if progress had been made with a teasing Instagram post on Friday morning.
It was initially suggested that Donald Cerrone would receive the next red panty night after both he and 'The Notorious' verbally agreed to a fight.
UFC commentator Joe Rogan suggested that Cerrone vs. McGregor was a done deal but Dana White rejected that claim, telling TMZ that "it’s not even close to being done."