Former featherweight champ Jose Aldo wants Conor McGregor rematch 1 year ago

Former featherweight champ Jose Aldo wants Conor McGregor rematch

Former UFC Featherweight champion Jose Aldo has called for a rematch with Conor McGregor following the Dubliner's submission loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 on Saturday.

Nurmagomedov successfully defended his Lightweight belt against McGregor with a dominant display in Las Vegas to extend his professional record to 27-0 with the victory.

Former interim Lightweight champion Tony Ferguson called for a fight with both Nurmagomedov and McGregor after defeating Anthony Pettis in the UFC 229 co-main event but now Aldo is looking to fight the former two-weight world champion.

McGregor famously ended the Brazilian's reign over the Featherweight division with a 13-second knockout of Aldo at UFC 194 in December 2015 and it's a fight that the 32-year-old has been looking to avenge ever since.

Aldo took to his Instagram account on Tuesday to call McGregor out posting: “There’s nowhere to run,” while adding the hashtag "joker" and “It’s time.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Não tem pra onde correr! Chegou a hora! it's time! @thenotoriousmma

A post shared by José Aldo Junior (@josealdojunioroficial) on

Aldo has previously said that McGregor was offered the fight in the past but declined to accept the invitation.

"Everybody says things today that I don’t even understand why,” Aldo said last year when asked about McGregor. "Conor was good for one side, let’s say, because he brought more attention to the division and to myself. On another side, to talk about the fight, man, that’s in the past.

"Everybody still asks me if I want or if I don’t want (to fight him again). That’s not up to me. That's up to the UFC, and we know it will never happen. I don’t even know if he will come back to fight. The UFC tried to do a (second) fight and he didn’t want it, didn’t accept it, because what happened will never happen again.”