Conor McGregor names condition for fighting in UFC co-main event
Conor McGregor is well aware of his worth.
McGregor recently admitted that combat sports had become his third level of income, such has been his success outside the Octagon with his various business ventures.
'The Notorious' hasn't won a fight in two and a half years but that takes nothing away from the fact that he remains the biggest superstar in mixed martial arts.
McGregor will be free to fight again next month, when his suspension for his role in the infamous UFC 229 melee will be over, and the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion has revealed that he is targeting a return fight in July.
Donald Cerrone had been touted as a potential opponent for the Irishman, with both men having agreed to a fight via social media, but that bout reportedly fell apart due to McGregor's refusal to fight in a co-main event, with the UFC now reserving pay-per-view headline slots for title fights exclusively.
McGregor, however, has insisted that he would gladly accept a co-main event but on the condition that he is rewarded with some equity in the company at a time when the UFC is redesigning its company model as part of its ESPN deal.
— Mike Pendleton (@MP2310) March 19, 2019
"I’m ready to fight, I’ve said that. No problem," McGregor said at a recent Q&A session in Chicago.
"If the UFC wants me to slide into that co-main event slot and help, what that is, if I slide into the co-main event it’s boosting their brand over fighter rhetoric that they have. There’s no problem with that.
"If they want me to push that and I have no problem pushing that, give me my rightful shares in the UFC company. That’s all I ask. You can put me on the first fight of ESPN+ but just give me my shares. So, we’ll see what happens."