Mickey Harte could call on AFL prospect for All-Ireland final
Tyrone manager Mickey Harte could be set to call on Essendon Bombers defender Conor McKenna for next weekend's All-Ireland final with Dublin.
McKenna was a standout for the Tyrone minor side that lost the 2013 All-Ireland final to Mayo before he then left for Australia and the AFL in 2014.
The 22-year-old broke through to the Essendon first team last season and played 19 games for the Bombers averaging 17 disposals, four marks and two tackles per game.
He was awarded a four-year contract with Essendon last September but he could potentially return for Tyrone if the Bombers fail to make the AFL finals.
To advance to the post-season Essendon would need to defeat Port Adelaide in Adelaide next week, hope Port lose to Collingwood this week, Geelong to lose their next two games and North Melbourne to lose their final games if they are to advance to the post-season.
The unlikeliness of the aforementioned has created a situation where McKenna could feasibly return to Tyrone amid rumours from within the county.
The Irish News first reported the link on Friday and cited that Clarke did play for his club An Riocht back in 2007 while he was still registered as a Collingwood player.
McKenna told the GAA's official website last year that he still has ambitions of playing senior inter-county football with his native county.
“Oh definitely,” said McKenna.
“It's always one that hopefully I come home at some stage and represent my club, my county. At the minute, I'm signed for those four years so I'm there for four years anyway.
“In four years I'm going to be 25, I'm a young fella. Tadhg Kennelly came home when he was 27 or 28; so there's plenty of time and if it's an option, I'll take it.”