13 man Kiladangan denied by Clonlara at the death after one of the great Munster championship games 2 weeks ago

13 man Kiladangan denied by Clonlara at the death after one of the great Munster championship games

Clonlara 0-23 Kiladangan 1-19

18-year-old Diarmuid Stritch scored the winning point as Clonlara came from two points down in injury time to defeat Kiladangan in the Munster club semi-final.


Having been reduced to 13 men in the second half, Kiladangan battled tremendously to lead going into injury-time but Clonlara scored the last three points of the game to book their place in the Munster final.

Two quickfire red cards looked to have ended the Tipperary champions' challenge early on in the second half but Clonlara failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage.

Instead, minus the services of forwards Dan O'Meara and Sean Hayes, both of whom had been sent off for striking offences, Kiladangan stayed in the game and a late tour-de-force from Alan Flynn turned the game in their favour.

Flynn won two frees in a row and then, when he scored a sensational point to put them two up after some brilliant link-up play from the 13 men of Kiladangan, this game looked over.


But man-of-the-match John Conlon and then Stritch stepped up to seal victory for Donal Madden's side, after what was a thrilling game.

Clonlara had started the brighter of the two team with Conlon and Colm Galvin on the scoreboard early on.

Kiladangan were struggling before Andy Loughnane set up Dan O'Meara for a goal that breathed new life into their challenge. Having played against the wind in that first half, they were well in the game despite going into the interval trailing by two.


But then the game was turned upside down by the 47th minute by the time both O'Meara and Hayes had been sent off. Speaking on TG4's commentary of the game, former Galway hurler Cathal Moore said that neither player could have any complaints over the decision.

Moore praised Cork referee Ciaran O'Regan for his handling of the game.

Billy Seymour continued to trouble Clonlara and the score-board, from play and from frees, as Kiladangan's clever and composed use of the ball made it look like there was no numerical disadvantage whatsoever. But Stritch had the final say late on after a mis-placed pass from Alan Flynn.


Seymour did have a chance to level it, with a free from almost 100 metres but that man John Conlan caught it in front of his goals and that was that.

Read more: