Permutations: How Limerick could be knocked out of the championship this weekend
In what would make for the most dramatic of twists, Limerick could be knocked out of the All-Ireland hurling championship this weekend.
Although unlikely, it's not impossible and, with a little push from Cork and Tipperary, the Treaty's four-in-a-row dream could end in Thurles.
Sunday is a huge day in the Munster championship as, with the groups heating up, we're all set for a thrilling crescendo.
First up at 2.00 on Sunday, it's the clash of Clare and Cork in their Cusack Park round-robin meeting.
Were Cork to beat Clare in that one then it would mean that Limerick would be fighting for their lives in Thurles. Because if Cork beat Clare and Tipp beat Limerick, then, just like that, John Kiely's team would be joining Waterford on the Munster championship scrapheap.
The Shannonsiders find themselves in something of a precarious position on the back of their loss to Clare a fortnight ago. Brian Lohan's Banner, meanwhile, backed up that victory with another win over Waterford and this puts them on top of the Munster pile, although they have played one game more than Tipp, Cork and Limerick.
Limerick are the only team that could be knocked out of the Munster championship this weekend.
Munster SHC permutations
- Cork win, Tipperary win - Cork and Tipperary reach Munster final, Clare finish third and head for All-Ireland preliminary quarter-final, Limerick are out
- Cork win, Limerick win - Final positions up to be decided following weekend
- Clare win, Tipperary win -Clare qualify for Munster final, Tipperary qualify for All-Ireland preliminary quarter-final at a minimum.
- Clare win, Limerick win - Clare qualify for Munster final, other final spot and All-Ireland preliminary quarter-final tbc.
- Clare&Cork draw, Tipperary win - No positions confirmed until the following weekend
- Clare&Cork draw, Limerick win - No positions confirmed until the following weekend.
- Clare win, Tipperary&Limerick draw- Clare qualify for Munster final, other final spot and All-Ireland preliminary quarter-final place tbc.
- Cork win, Tipperary&Limerick draw - Final positions to be decided following weekend
In Leinster, it's more straight forward with Galway expected to seal their spot in the Leinster final when they take on Antrim. Kilkenny can join them with a win over Dublin in Nowlan Park although, if Dublin were to reverse that result, then they would lead the Cats before the final round of games. In order to qualify, Wexford will need either Dublin, Kilkenny or Galway to lose their two remaining games, while winning their own.