Wolves goal against Liverpool disallowed as there was no camera angle to overturn decision
Toti Gomes' winner was ruled out for offside
Wolves' disallowed winner at Anfield was ruled out as there was no camera angle to overturn the decision.
Toti Gomes thought he had put the away side 3-2 up against Liverpool on Saturday but the goal was deemed to be offside, despite replays showing that he was clearly onside.
Match officials ruled that goal out as Matheus Nunes was offside in the build up to the back-heeled effort. Mike Dean, who was working on VAR, looked back at the footage but couldn't find a clear and obvious reason to overturn the decision on field.
It's since been revealed that there wasn't a definitive enough camera angle inside the stadium which would have allowed Dean to decide if the goal should've stood after all.
'We can't do anything' - Lopetegui
The assistant referee on the pitch, who could see across the line - unlike the television cameras - had spotted Nunes in an offside position when the ball was played back to him after the corner.
Fans were left confused back home while Wolves manager Julen Lopetegui was furious with the officials for ruling out their winner as well as failing to disallow Mohamed Salah's strike earlier in the game.
"We can't do anything. We have talked with the referee. He was very quiet but he hears us," Lopetegui said.
"It was a pity because today there was VAR. He tried to explain but it wasn't very clear but, of course more or less, I will show him I think the goal is valid (from) our tactical camera. I have seen the replay.
"Today we are unlucky with the decision and unlucky that we have a lot of chances, enough to win the match."
Follow the latest transfer rumours in our dedicated hub here.
- Atlético Madrid could price João Felix out of loan move.
- Al-Nassr coach admits he wanted to sign Lionel Messi before Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Jamie Carragher makes brutal Cristiano Ronaldo dig as Rio Ferdinand defends Saudi move.
- Emi Martinez spends £20,000 on guard dog to protect World Cup winners' medal.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: The sad decline of a player that refused to listen to anyone but himself.
- Cody Gakpo sends blunt message to Man United after Liverpool move.