Sadio Mane issues strong message of support after "abominable acts" against Napoli player
Carlo Ancelotti says Koulibaly was the victim of racist abuse during Napoli's 1-0 defeat to Inter Milan on Wednesday.
Liverpool's Sadio Mane has posted a message of support to his international teammate Kalidou Koulibaly after he was allegedly racially abused while playing for Napoli against Inter Milan on Wednesday night.
The Senegalese defender was sent off with ten minutes to play in the Serie A game at the San Siro, with manager Carlo Ancelotti later revealing that he had been "on the edge" following chants directed at him by some of the supporters. The former AC Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid boss also revealed that he had asked on three occasions for the game, eventually won by a single stoppage time goal for Inter, to be called off.
In response, Liverpool's Mane shared a post on Instagram.
"I am bitter not to say bruised and dismayed by what you have experienced," he said.
“But I know you well enough that these abominable acts will not reach you at all. We are proud of our race and we will continue to defend it as we defend the colours of our homeland.
“You reminded the world that identity does not compartmentalise.”
View this post on Instagram
Frere , Je suis amer pour ne pas dire meurtri et consterné par ce que tu as vécu. Mais, je te connais suffisamment pour t’avoir pratiqué pendant des années. Ces actes abominables ne vont nullement t’atteindre. Par rapport à notre race, nous en sommes fiers. Et, au delà, nous allons continuer à la défendre comme nous défendrons les couleurs de notre Patrie. Tu as rappelé à la face du monde que l’identité ne se compartimente pas. @@@ Allez le Lion###
It was announced on Thursday that Inter will play their next two games behind closed doors, with a third home game to be played with the San Siro's 'curva' section - the part of the stadium popular with the club's 'ultras' - to remain closed.