Jurgen Klopp makes sizable donation to Sean Cox fund
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has made a €5000 donation to a GoFundMe page set up for Dunboyne based Reds fan Sean Cox.
Cox is still recovering from the injuries he suffered when he was attacked by a group of Roma fans near Anfield ahead of Liverpool's Champions League clash with the Italian club back in April.
Filippo Lombardi, 21, was sentenced to three years in jail after admitting to charge of violent disorder for his part in the assault while Cox has recently commenced a program of rehabilitation in Dun Laoghaire and will continue to require ongoing and intensive long term care and support during his recovery.
— Jay McKenna (@JayMcKenna87) October 26, 2018
Love our manager pic.twitter.com/tfmrXydEqH
— . (@Naby_Keita_GOAT) October 26, 2018
Klopp met Cox's family when he was in Dublin for Liverpool's pre-season match with Napoli at the Aviva Stadium in August where he passed on his best wishes to the 53-year-old Dublin native.
The German reflected on the attack earlier in the season and said that the relevant authorities have to do everything they can in the future to ensure that attacks like the one that Cox suffered will not happen again.
"When I first heard about it, I cannot describe my emotions in English to be honest," Klopp said.
"It's how I feel still. That should never have happened, it should never happen before it should never happen in the future and we all have to do everything to make sure that things like that will not happen anymore.
"It's unbelievable that something like this can happen. You can imagine our thoughts and prayers are with Sean at this moment and his family of course."