Ireland underage international regains sight after chemical attack
Ireland underage international Tega Agberhiere has spoke about a suspected acid attack after he was one of three teenage boys hit with a corrosive substance in Waterford last week.
The U17 representative said he feared that he'd never be able to see again after the attack but has now revealed that doctors said he should be able to recover his vision as he continues to heal following the horrific incident.
"I can see from both eyes. It's just it's a little bit swollen, so it's hard to open them," Agberhiere told WLR.
"They [the doctors] said I should be able to see. That my vision will get to how it was before.
"When I got it.... I thought I would never be able to see again. That was what I thought 100 percent, that I would never be able to see another thing in my life."
Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy wished Agberhiere well as in his recovery attempts and added that he hopes to see the promising teenager return to the pitch sometime soon.
Some viewers may find the following content distressing - Acid/chemical attack victim Tega Agberhiere (16) speaks publicly for the first time, exclusively to WLR, thanking all those who have wished him well. Full video available on the WLR Facebook page ↪ https://t.co/E1WzsnWljj pic.twitter.com/WuueNWYqLr
— WLR (@wlrfm) May 2, 2019
“I was shocked to hear what happened to Tega and his friends in Waterford”, said McCarthy, “and I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone involved with football in Ireland when I wish them all well as they recover from the effects of this attack.
“I know Tega is a very promising young footballer and I hope and pray that he is back on the pitch in the very near future. My best wishes to Tega, to his friends and to their families.”