Search icon


10th Oct 2022

Gabriel questioned by FA disciplinary chiefs following heated altercation with Henderson

Patrick McCarry


After considering whether to launch a probe on the matter, the FA has moved swiftly.

The Football Association has opened an investigation into the second half clash between Arsenal defender Gabriel Magalhães and Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, at The Emirates, on Sunday.

The players exchanged words, and had to be separated by teammates, late in the host’s 3-2 league victory.

Gabriel was involved in a heated exchange with Henderson and, according to reports, gestured to the referee. Proceedings were briefly paused as Michael Oliver, the referee, ran to the touchline to speak with the managers, Mikel Arteta and Jürgen Klopp, during added time.

It is understood to have referred to an argument that erupted inside the Liverpool penalty area and involved several players. FA disciplinary chiefs spoke with Oliver and his officiating team before deciding that further steps should be taken. Late on Sunday, and FA spokesperson said:

“We are aware of an incident that took place during the match between Arsenal and Liverpool. We are in dialogue with the match officials and will review the details of the incident.”

Following the game, which put Arsenal back on top of the Premier League, Henderson was seen deep in discussion with Gabriel as Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino stood beside them, acting as an intermediary.


Gabriel was ‘triggered’ by Jordan Henderson comment

The Daily Mail has now reported that a full probe on the incident has been opened, and Gabriel has already spoken to the FA to give his side of the story. He will have been asked to give his take on what he heard to the governing body.

The Brazilian is said to have ‘complained he heard something on the pitch which triggered an angry confrontation with Henderson’. The Liverpool skipper has also been contacted about giving his side of the story.

In his post-match television interview, on Sunday, Jürgen Klopp said he was “not allowed” to divulge any more details.

Arteta told a press conference afterwards: “It was an incident that happened. Whatever happens on that pitch stays on that pitch.”

More football news:

How Neymar destroyed the transfer market

WATCH: Liverpool BOTTLED the title race 🤬 | Who will win the Premier League?