Evan Ferguson praised after Brighton striker matches feat by Premier League legend
"He can become a great striker."
Brighton and Hove Albion manager Roberto De Zerbi praised Evan Ferguson after the Irish striker scored his second consecutive goal in the Premier League.
Ferguson, 18, netted for the Seagulls in their 4-1 victory over Everton at Goodison Park on Tuesday night.
The Republic of Ireland centre forward also registered an assist in the game, a few days after scoring his first Premier League goal against Arsenal in a 4-2 defeat.
De Zerbi has predicted a bright future for the striker from Bettystown in Co. Meath.
Brighton manager praises Evan Ferguson.
"I'm happy for Evan, he played a fantastic game," De Zerbi told Brighton's official website after the victory in Liverpool.
"In our team, my work is to help the young players to progress."
The former Bohemians striker was understandably delighted after netting his second goal in the English top flight.
18 - Evan Ferguson (18y 76d) is the second-youngest player in Premier League history to both score and assist in a match, after Michael Owen in 1997 (17y 364d v Crystal Palace). Flyer. pic.twitter.com/rMoSFmnlT5
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 3, 2023
"Great result, obviously bouncing back from last week, it's probably the best result we could ask for," Ferguson said.
"I think we came in at half-time, we knew we could do better, we knew we had to go at them. We came out and tried to give it our best and luckily the goals came through."
Ferguson also said he enjoyed being able to celebrate his goal against Everton as, against Arsenal, he netted a consolation goal and had to re-start the match instantly.
"I think it's a lot better when you can go and celebrate and you're not going picking the ball up and getting straight back," he said. "(I'm) Just buzzing with the result and to get another goal."
Ferguson has earned two caps for the Ireland senior team and will almost certainly be in Stephen Kenny's squad for the Euro 2024 qualifier against France in March if he stays fit.
Follow the latest transfer news in our dedicated hub here.
- Atlético Madrid could price João Felix out of loan move.
- Al-Nassr coach admits he wanted to sign Lionel Messi before Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Jamie Carragher makes brutal Cristiano Ronaldo dig as Rio Ferdinand defends Saudi move.
- Emi Martinez spends £20,000 on guard dog to protect World Cup winners' medal.
- Erik ten Hag takes control of Man United reserves as Martin Dubravka heads back to Newcastle.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: The sad decline of a player that refused to listen to anyone but himself.
- Cody Gakpo sends blunt message to Man United after Liverpool move.
- Evan Ferguson becomes youngest ever Irish scorer in Premier League with fine goal against Arsenal.