
Football
Share
Published 10:11 29 Nov 2024 GMT
Updated 10:17 29 Nov 2024 GMT

Fabian Hurzeler has poured cold water on speculation that Evan Ferguson could leave the club in January.
The Brighton and Hove Albion manager has told the 20-year-old striker to "accept your role, don't complain."
Earlier this week, there were reports that Ferguson would leave the Seagulls in January, possibly in a loan deal, to secure more first-team football.
Leicester City and Fulham were said to be interested in signing the Republic of Ireland forward, who scored 17 goals in 83 games for Brighton.
Hurzeler, however, dismissed the rumours in his pre-match press conference ahead of Brighton's match against Southampton on Friday night.
The German coach insisted that Ferguson remains an important part of the squad.
"I don’t know where this information comes from," Hurzeler said.
"I told Evan I’m happy with his training, his physical and mental shape. He’s a young player who needs game time, but he must accept his role and be ready when the chance comes.
"It’s the same thing I demand from other players," he said.
"You can be disappointed if you’re not playing, but you must ensure you’re ready when called upon. That’s what I expect from Evan.
"I never said anything about a loan. We’re happy Evan is here, and I’m sure he can help us next week."
Ferguson, who signed a long-term contract with Brighton until 2029, has seen his development stall following a breakthrough in the 2022/23 campaign.
An ankle injury sidelined him for much of 2024, and he has since been limited to just seven Premier League appearances this season—only one of which was a start.
Brighton manager Fabian Hurzeler has favoured Danny Welbeck, Joao Pedro, and Georginio Rutter in attack. The trio have helped the Seagulls reach fifth-place in the league.
Ferguson is one of only four teenagers to score a hat-trick in the Premier League and remains a striker with huge potential.
Explore more on these topics:

Football

World Cup referee dropped after arrest for alleged sexual assault of underage boy
The referee has been dropped from the tournament FIFA has opted to drop referee Rob Dieperink from its list of World Cup match officials, after it emerged he was arrested by the Metropolitan Police in April following allegations of sexual assault against an underage boy in London, according to The Athletic. The Dutch official had […]
Football
9h
SportsJOE viral moments hub: Follow all the action from Celtic vs Hearts and the FA Cup final
Two of the biggest trophies in football will be decided today! Saturday 16th of May could go down as the most significant day in modern Scottish football history. That’s because Hearts of Midlothian have the real opportunity to become the first team since Aberdeen in 1984/85, to beat either of Rangers or Celtic to the […]
Football
10h
Football
Football