Search icon


06th Feb 2021

Ferocious Scotland stun England for first Twickenham victory in 38 years

Patrick McCarry



For the first time in 38 years, Scotland have defeated England at Twickenham in a stunning upset.

Scotland were full value for their 11-6 victory over a flat, clueless England side and Stuart Hogg delivered a masterclass. It was their first win over the English in London since 1983.

Scottish supporters will even forgive Hogg for a late, needless drop goal attempt that gifted back possession with 30 seconds to go, but the excellent Hamish Watson forced one final turnover and the game was won.

The reigning Six Nations and Autumn Nations Cup champions were left stunned by a ferocious Scotland side that won the Calcutta Cup on English soil for the first time ever.

The Scots absolutely bossed the first half as England conceded 11 penalties in the opening 27 minutes alone and clung on for dear life. Billy Vunipola was sent to the sin-bin for a high tackle on Finn Russell but the hosts wound down the clock with a number of scrum re-sets.

Just as Gregor Townsend was cursing his side’s wastefulness, a lovely backline move resulted in winger Duhan van der Merwe stepping inside Elliot Daly and beating two more covering defenders to dot down.

Russell missed the conversion and Owen Farrell’s penalty soon had the scoreline looking healthier, but the Scots were not done yet. They dominated in terms of territory, possession and metres made but, when Russell was sent to the sin-bin for a deliberate trip, Farrell narrowed the deficit to 8-6 at the break.

Ben Youngs of England is tripped Finn Russell of Scotland. (Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

The second half saw Scotland eat up the clock on Russell’s yellow card through attack, rather than defence. Russell added another penalty to make it 11-6 and Eddie Jones’ men seemed completely devoid of ideas.

Scottish fans would have been gnawing at their nails when first Russell and then Stuart Hogg missed with penalty attempts.

There was staunch defence required in the closing 10 minutes but the Scots never wilted. When Jonny May knocked on a clearing kick, with three minutes to go, Jones’ head dropped. He sensed the jig was up.

It was, and the championship has been blown wide open.

Our Man of the Match: Stuart Hogg (Scotland)

WATCH: Liverpool BOTTLED the title race 🤬 | Who will win the Premier League?