Search icon

Rugby

18th Jun 2024

Everyone says one player is missing after Ireland squad for South Africa tour announced

Callum Boyle

Andy Farrell Ireland

Plenty to analyse here

Fans have had their say on the recent squad announcement ahead of Ireland’s summer fixtures.

Andy Farrell unveiled his 35-man squad for Ireland’s upcoming tour of South Africa on Tuesday.

Ireland will travel to South Africa for two test fixtures in Pretoria on July 6 and Durban on July 13.

One of the biggest exclusions is number eight Jack Conlon, who as reported by several outlets on Monday, isn’t part of the squad due to personal reasons.

There had been plenty of calls from outsiders from Farrell to name a squad with one eye cast on the future of Irish rugby.

Only three uncapped players were named in the side: Jamie Osborne, Sam Prendergast and Cormac Izuchukwu and the squad will be captained by Peter O’Mahony.

Irish fans react to squad announcement

As with any announcement though, there is plenty of debate about who has/hasn’t been included in the team and the 35-man squad received mixed reactions as many were disappointed not to see Gavin Coombes included.

One fan said on X: “Gav Coombes may as well head abroad at this point.

“Still no call up for Coombes,” stated another.

A third added: “HOW did this man not make the squad?? Joke.”

“Short of winning world player of the year I’m not sure what more Gavin Coombes could do to justify a selection for Ireland. Madness,” said another.

Coombes has been in excellent form for Munster this season and the 26-year-old has been a standout throughout their campaign despite being on the losing end of the URC semi final clash against Glasgow Warriors last week.

He’s featured in every game for them this season.

Read more:

WATCH: Liverpool BOTTLED the title race 🤬 | Who will win the Premier League?