Antoine Dupont equals Brian O'Driscoll record with Six Nations 'Best Player' award
A fantastic achievement from a fantastic player.
Dupont saw off competition from two of his France teammates and the Ireland trio of Caelan Doris, Mack Hansen and Hugo Keenan. A release from the Six Nations reads:
'This takes Dupont’s award tally up to three, having claimed the prize in 2020 and 2022. Dupont is the second player in the award’s history to claim the title three times, putting him alongside Ireland’s Brian O’Driscoll, who won the award in 2006, 2007 and 2009.
'The shortlist for this year’s Guinness Six Nations Player of The Championship was dominated by France and Ireland players, with three names per nation making the shortlist. International media and fans had their say on who should be in the running for the hotly anticipated award, with fan votes also contributing towards the 2023 Team of The Championship...
'With over 138,000 fans having their say to decide the 2023 Guinness Six Nations Player of The Championship, it was Dupont that received 26% of the votes, earning the coveted award for the third time, as well as a place in the Team of The Championship.'
Mack Hansen and Thomas Ramos miss out, twice
There was consolation - aside from the obvious Grand Slam - for Hugo Keenan and Caelan Doris as they were included in an Ireland heavy team of the tournament.
The two unluckiest players to miss out, on both the team and individual awards, having been in contention for both, were Mack Hansen and Thomas Ramos.
Hansen was edged out by Damien Penaud while Hugo Keenan beat Ramos to the No.15 jersey.
WATCH HOUSE OF RUGBY HERE:
- Seven Ireland stars make Sam Warburton's Six Nations team of the tournament
- Brian O’Driscoll puts into words what whole nation is feeling about Johnny Sexton
- Peter O’Mahony’s comments on Owen Farrell should take no one by surprise
- James Lowe challenges Ireland's Grand Slam winners to scale even greater heights
- Three Ireland stars nominated for Six Nations Player of the Championship
- Johnny Sexton is Irish rugby’s greatest player of all time