Tiger Woods speaks out after giving golf partner a tampon as a prank
"It was supposed to be all fun and games."
Tiger Woods has spoken about his prank with golf partner Justin Thomas, who he pranked by slipping him a tampon during the Genesis Invitational.
The Americans were walking off the ninth tee when Thomas started laughing and was seen dropping the tampon on the floor.
The suggestion seemed to be that Thomas was playing like a woman, which has sparked some criticism on social media, although the two-time major winner didn't seem to take offence to the incident.
The 47-year-old is playing in his first competitive PGA Tour event since missing the cut at The Open in July and made three birdies on his final three holes to card an opening round of 69.
"It was supposed to be all fun and games, and obviously it hasn't turned out that way," Woods said on Friday. "If I offended anybody, it was not the case; it was just friends having fun.
"As I said, if I offended anybody in any way, shape, or form, I'm sorry. It was not intended to be that way.
"It was just we play pranks on one another all the time and virally I think this did not come across that way, but between us it was - it's different."
Woods was playing alongside Thomas and Rory McIlroy in his first appearance in seven months, and pranks aside, things have been going well.
- Tiger Woods slips his partner a tampon in prank at Genesis Invitational
- Tiger Woods praises "exceptional" Rory McIlroy for LIV Golf stance
- Tiger Woods on Rory McIlroy's gesture on 18 that caused the damn to break
- “This felt like it will be the last time to play at St Andrews” – Tiger Woods close to tears walking to the 18th green at The Open
- Tiger Woods goes to town on LIV Golf defectors at Open press conference
- Rory McIlroy explains ‘falling out’ with Shane Lowry that lasted a few years