Trevor Sinclair suspended from talkSPORT after Queen tweet 2 months ago

Trevor Sinclair suspended from talkSPORT after Queen tweet

Sinclair is also under investigation by the station

TalkSPORT has confirmed that Trevor Sinclair has been suspended from the radio station following a tweet he posted in the aftermath of the Queen's death.

Advertisement

Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday evening that the Queen had passed away at her Balmoral residence after concerns had been raised by doctors earlier in the day.

Sinclair, who has recently worked as a pundit for talkSPORT, responded to the news by tweeting: 'Racism was outlawed in England in the 60’s & its been allowed to thrive so why should black & brown mourn!! #queen'

Trevor Sinclair Queen

The tweet was later deleted, with Sinclair's Twitter account also disappearing in the hours that followed.

Advertisement

In a statement on Friday, the station confirmed that the ex-footballer would be investigated following his tweet.

TalkSPORT said: "Trevor Sinclair will not be on air while we carry out a thorough investigation into the circumstances and timing of his tweet.

"While we respect the right of Trevor Sinclair to express his opinion on his personal twitter account, talkSPORT does not endorse the tweet."

Advertisement

The station had initially released a short statement in the immediate aftermath of Sinclair's tweet.

They said: "We have been trying to make contact with Trevor Sinclair following opinions expressed on his Twitter account.

"talkSPORT does not support those views expressed and is investigating the matter."

Advertisement

Simon Jordan, one of Sinclair's colleagues at talkSPORT, was amongst those to criticise the tweet before it and Sinclair's account disappeared.

"Trev I’m really not sure that is an appropriate thought, let alone tweet,' he responded. 'The country has lost a very significant person and respect and value should be the overriding sentiments not division!"