Video emerges of 'assault' on Robin Olsen during Man City pitch invasion 6 months ago

Video emerges of 'assault' on Robin Olsen during Man City pitch invasion

Man City have released a statement

Manchester City have issued an apology after Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen was 'assaulted' during the pitch invasion which followed the full-time whistle at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.


City clinched the Premier League title by staging a dramatic late comeback against Villa, who had taken a two-goal lead over Pep Guardiola's side as the game entered its final 20 minutes.

With City needing to win their game to ensure they finished above Liverpool, goals from Matty Cash and Philippe Coutinho looked to have handed Jurgen Klopp's side a major boost.

Ilkay Gundogan halved the deficit with little over 15 minutes to play before Rodri's effort from outside the penalty area pulled City level two minutes later. Gundogan scored his second soon after, putting City back on course.


Olsen assaulted as he left the pitch.

As the whistle sounded, thousands of City supporters flooded onto the pitch to celebrate their title success.

As shown in the footage below, Olsen can be seen standing on the edge of the Villa box as fans begin to make their way onto the pitch.

He appears to hold his head as a steward quickly tends to him, escorting him away from the pitch.


As he departs at least one supporter can be seen shoving him.

City release statement apologising to Olsen


Villa boss Steven Gerrard confirmed the assault when speaking to reporters. Asked if his players had made it to the dressing room unscathed, he said: "The answer is no. My goalkeeper was attacked. I think those questions should go to Pep and Manchester City."

City were quick to respond to the incident with a statement.

'Manchester City would like to sincerely apologise to Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen, who was assaulted after the final whistle at today’s match when fans entered the pitch,' the statement read.

'The Club has launched an immediate investigation and once identified, the individual responsible will be issued with an indefinite stadium ban.'