Paul Pogba "prepared to state" that he no longer wants to play for Jose Mourinho
Manchester United are experiencing a turbulent period.
In the space of a week, they failed to beat Wolves at Old Trafford, were eliminated from the EFL Cup by Derby and beaten 3-1 by West Ham.
In addition to the poor results, the club appears to be experiencing a civil war between the two main figures at United - Jose Mourinho and Paul Pogba.
— SportsJOE (@SportsJOEdotie) September 24, 2018
It appears that the two just don't like each other and it's difficult to imagine them working alongside each other this time next season.
Pogba has publicly questioned Mourinho's tactics. Mourinho has stripped the French midfielder of the vice-captaincy. Pogba wants the freedom to gallivant forward when he wants. Mourinho wants structure and discipline from his midfielders.
Both are right in their own ways, but both are probably wrong for United in the long-term. Following Saturday's defeat to West Ham, Mourinho could be entering his final months at the club. According to reports, Pogba wants to join Barcelona regardless of who is in charge at United.
Duncan Castles, a football journalist with sources close to the United manager, has published an interesting report about the situation.
Writing in The Daily Record, Castles claims that Pogba is so unhappy with Mourinho, that he is prepared to say that he is no longer willing to play for the former Chelsea coach if the situation deteriorates any further.
According to the report:
- Pogba is "prepared to state that he no longer wishes to play" for Mourinho if the situation gets any worse.
- He wasn't humbled by the decision to strip him of the vice-captaincy.
- Pogba is said to have told his teammates that he won't back down in the row with Mourinho.
- He is "prepared to go all the way" and state that he doesn't want to play for the former Real Madrid coach.
- The issue between the pair began when Pogba suffered a hamstring injury a few games into last season.
- Mourinho reportedly felt the injury could have been avoided and took issue with Pogba's use of a personal fitness trainer.
- The French midfielder's agent Mino Raiola is said to have offered rival clubs - including Manchester City - the chance to sign Pogba back in January.
- He is also said to have approached Mourinho about changing his tactics so Pogba could be absolved of defensive duties.
Pogba would undoubtedly deny these claims. However, it is clear that all isn't right between the midfielder and his manager.
It will be interesting to see how the situation plays out over the next few weeks and months.