Dale Stephens claims he found out he had been released this summer through Twitter
'I found out on Twitter, of all places, that I wouldn't be getting a new contract'
Former Burnley midfielder Dale Stephens claims he found out he was being released by the Clarets this summer through Twitter.
The 33-year-old, who joined the now Championship club in 2020 on a two-year deal after leaving Brighton, made just 15 appearances for the Lancashire outfit.
Stephens' contract with the club expired at the end of last season, and the Clarets opted against offering him a new deal following their relegation to the second tier.
Dale Stephens found out about release on social media
However, he has since claimed that he was not told of that decision by club officials and instead found out that he had been let go through Twitter.
"The writing was on the wall in the period I had there," Stephens said on talkSPORT.
"It was disappointing on both sides, I didn't really see it panning out the way that it did because when I initially went there I was excited for the challenge, but for whatever reason it didn't work for me or the football club.
"I sort of knew that I wouldn't be there next year. It probably sums my time up there, but I found out on Twitter, of all places, that I wouldn't be getting a new contract.
"It was bizarre really. I knew anyway before my contract expired but it’s when they release it to the press and stuff and I just see it on my Twitter feed that I’ve been released.
"There's just not much dialogue in terms of offering contracts etc, but it's a clean break which isn't always a bad way to go about it. At least you know where you stand in the long term."
Burnley preparing for life under Kompany
Dale Stephens is currently training with his former side Brighton while he looks to find a new club.
The Clarets, who parted company with long-term manager Sean Dyche last season, are preparing for life back in the Championship after a number of years in the top-flight.
Vincent Kompany's side face Huddersfield in their opening match of the season on July 29.
- Leeds and Burnley drop complaint over Everton’s transfer spending after being given assurances
- Connor Roberts confronts Burnley teammate Wout Weghorst during Nations League clash
- Vincent Kompany close to being appointed Burnley manager