Harry Maguire's move to West Ham off after Man United stall on ultimatum
Maguire had been set to make the switch to the London Stadium
Harry Maguire’s proposed £30m move to West Ham United has been called off.
The Guardian have revealed that the Hammers grew tired of waiting to complete a deal and it now looks increasingly likely that the England international will remain at Manchester United beyond the end of the transfer window.
Maguire had agreed personal terms with the club however the Hammers had been waiting for the 30-year-old to agree a pay-off with United before making the switch to the London Stadium.
— utdreport (@utdreport) August 15, 2023
The defender received a huge salary increase after the Red Devils qualified for the Champions League and would've taken a significant pay cut to move to the Conference League champions. It is believed that Maguire wanted £7m to Leave Old Trafford.
Maguire started on the bench as Raphael Varane scored the only goal of the game 14 minutes from time for Erik ten Hag’s side in a narrow 1-0 win against Wolves. Earlier this summer, Rio Ferdinand told JOE that he felt Maguire needed to start somewhere new to reignite his career.
He said: "I just think he needs a new challenge. "I was watching the friendly the other day and you can feel the bad energy in the stadium when he gets on the ball sometimes and I’m thinking ‘do you wanna wake up and play football like that? Do you wanna feel the energy in the stadium or in the media because you’re playing for the club?’ Just start afresh."
This is a breaking news story. More to follow
- Liverpool have already lined up a Moises Caicedo alternative
- Jamie Carragher reacts to the news that Moises Caicedo has rejected Liverpool to join Chelsea
- Jamie Carragher critical of stalled Liverpool deal as West Ham make new Harry Maguire bid