Man City apologise to Robin Olsen after he was 'attacked' during pitch invasion 6 months ago

Man City apologise to Robin Olsen after he was 'attacked' during pitch invasion

"My goalkeeper was attacked."

Manchester City have issued an apology after Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen was assaulted during the pitch invasion which followed the full-time whistle at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.


Villa manager Steven Gerrard said in his post-match press conference that Olsen was "attacked" at the final whistle.

City staged a dramatic late comeback against Villa, who had taken a two-goal lead over Pep Guardiola's side as the game entered its final 20 minutes.

Neville Carragher Man City

Man City apologise to Robin Olsen after he was 'attacked' during pitch invasion.


With City needing to win their game to ensure they finished above Liverpool, goals from Matty Cash and Philippe Coutinho had looked to have handed Jurgen Klopp's side a major boost.

Ilkay Gundogan halved the deficit with little over 15 minutes to play before Rodri's effort from outside the penalty area pulled City level two minutes later. Gundogan scored his second soon after, putting City back on course.

As the whistle sounded, thousands of supporters flooded onto the pitch, where Olsen, who had been a surprise starter for the game following an injury to Emi Martinez, was, according to his manager, assaulted.

Man City Robin Olsen


Steven Gerrard: Robin Olsen was attacked.

Asked if his players had made it off the pitch unscathed after the game, Steven Gerrard told reporters: "The answer is no. My goalkeeper was attacked. I think those questions should go to Pep and Manchester City."

City were quick to respond with a statement.

'Manchester City would like to sincerely apologise to Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen, who was assaulted after the final whistle at today’s match when fans entered the pitch,' the statement read.


'The Club has launched an immediate investigation and once identified, the individual responsible will be issued with an indefinite stadium ban.'